The park's history dates back to the 1500s and has seen interesting developments during each century since then.
The garden was enclosed by a fence with a door and also contained a small herb-garden cottage. In 1581 a garden pavilion was built in the form of a tower.
Karl IX mentions in a letter the pleasure derived from wandering in the gardens at Gripsholm.
Queen Dowager Hedvig Eleonora (1636–1715) was said to have planted a vaulted vine-covered passage in the garden.
In 1730, Carl Hårleman drew up a proposal for a new garden in rococo style. A brick wall with a tin plated top was built around the new garden.
The work took a number of years to complete, but it remains uncertain as to how much of Hårleman's design was followed.
The ground was considered too marshy and for that reason was re-filled and cultivated with new low stem-med trees. And the strand was fortified with a stone wall.
One or two lime trees that are found on the west side of the castle may originate from this time and form most probably the remains of a tree-lined avenue.
A large number of trees were planted to line the roads and were also intermittently dispersed over the grass lawns. Extensive arrays of flowers were planted by the roadsides and a number of seating areas were also built.
In 1897 the “great" orchard was planted on former pasture land in the area know as Hjorthagen (deer pasture). Some 3,600 trees were planted. At the time it was the largest fruit cultivation in Sweden.
The last big apple year was 1970–71. After that the operation was no longer considered commercially viable and was phased out.
At the end of the 19th century a greenhouse was built adjacent to the castle. The greenhouse seen today is a reconstruction of the one that existed at the end of the 1800s.
One or two trees, for instance the lime trees on the island´s west side, may originate from Gustav III´s time. During the 1900s, the gardens have successively been thinned out and cleared.
The park creates a shady frame around the castle, providing pleasant walks.
Flowerbeds and flower monograms can be seen around the castle. On the west side a small herb garden grows on the west side. It was planted in 1993 in commemoration of the Carthusian monastery Pax Mariae.
An orchard containing approximately 250 fruit trees produces the apples needed for the castle´s production of apple juice that is sold on site.